I used to have endless piles of educational resources around my office. Files full of hand outs from conventions, in-service training, workshops, and magazine articles. I used to keep stacks of educational and professional journals thinking I would some day need to reference those materials.
I no longer have the piles…I recycled them all. But I do still have every bit of information that was in them! And it’s completely searchable and organized where I can find anything by typing just a few keywords! Did I mention they’re also accessible from anywhere? How did I do this? The answer is Evernote.
If you’re unfamiliar with Evernote, it’s an amazing resource that operates as a digital file cabinet allowing you to keep track of anything. Literally anything! Instead of me giving a brief overview, I’ll just let the fine folks at Evernote. show you their product.
Pretty cool, huh? My life has been so simplified by using Evernote. Here’s 5 reasons why you need to start using Evernote today!
- Evernote is Universal – If you are a Mac, PC, Android, iOS, or just about anything else, Evernote is fully functional on all devices. Not only does Evernote allow you to create new notes, it also allows you to import any file type you want to keep track of. Have tons of old Finale files? Need help keeping track of spread sheets and word documents? No problem, Evernote stores it, sorts it, and catalogues it where it’s easy for you to find! You can access your important files and documents from anywhere in the world on a web enabled device using either the Evernote app, or their website!
- Evernote is Searchable – No longer will you have to spend time digging through file cabinets of paper in order to find that one handout from several years ago. Simply title and tag the note, or file it in a “notebook” of your choice. You’ll never lose a document or file again! Also, if you’re working with PDF files, the text within the PDF is searchable. That means if you have scanned 100 old magazines and are interested in finding every article dealing with flute tuning, simply search “flute” and “tuning” and every single document you’ve saved that has those two words will pop up! It’s an amazing tool!
- Evernote is Shareable – Do you have an important project that you are working on with other teachers? Create an Evernote note, or notebook and share access to it with all the members of your group. An example could be a notebook where everyone shares lesson plans, or commonly used forms and resources, or anything else you want to share. The possibilities are endless!
- Evernote is Great for Taxes! – For the past several years I have used the iPhone Evernote app to take pictures of every receipt every time I spend my personal money for work related expenses (school supplies, meals & hotel on trips, music supplies, etc.) This year I was able to deduct a huge amount because of how well I tracked these expenses. The IRS allows us to deduct these things, so we might as well make the most of it. Evernote saved me tons of money this year alone just because of the receipts I tracked!
- Evernote is Easy to Use – There are tons of video tutorials on how to do anything you want with Evernote, and there’s also books and blog posts. I’ve found the best way to get started is to just play around with it a little. It’s very intuitive and very well thought out. Probably the easiest feature to use is the email function. Included with your Evernote account is an email address that is linked directly to your Evernote. If you receive an email that you want to save, simply forward that email to your Evernote address and it will automatically generate a new note containing the entire email. It’s a fantastic tool that I use about ten times a day.
If you want to get started using Evernote, their YouTube Channel is full of helpful information. I would also highly recommend the blog posts by Michael Hyatt concerning Evernote (He’s the one that got me to try it!) I would recommend the following posts he’s written:
- How to Get Your Stuff into Evernote
- How to Organize Evernote for Maximum Efficiency
- A Handy Index to All My Evernote Posts
Evernote is an amazingly powerful tool that you can start using today for free! It’s well worth your time and will increase your productivity drastically.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”